Roy Hill Recognised at 2018 DMIRS Awards for Excellence
Roy Hill is delighted to announce it has won the 2018 Safety and Health Resources Sector Engineering Award at the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) Awards for Excellence ceremony, held at the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre tonight.
The Engineering Award recognises an innovation in maintenance, engineering or infrastructure that has enhanced the safety and health of employees.
Roy Hill was recognised for its Lightning Protection System (LPS); an innovative and long-term solution to address the significant risk of lightning strikes on the safety and wellbeing of employees at the Roy
Hill Mine Village. The LPS creates lightning safe pathways and shelters by capturing a lightning strike at a preferred point, and redirecting the current via down-conductors to a grounding system.
Roy Hill CEO Barry Fitzgerald said that winning the Safety and Health Resources Sector Award is an important acknowledgment of Roy Hill’s safety, innovation and improvement culture.
“Roy Hill holds a passionate belief that safety is a direct by-product of living by our values of Lead, Care, Think and Perform. Our values underpin our commitment to creating a culture where people are empowered to get involved in safety and identify opportunities for improvement across our
operations. The Lightning Protection System is just one example of this improvement in action”.
“Prior to the installation of the LPS, our people were required to remain indoors during the frequent lightning episodes that occur in the Pilbara. Roy Hill staff can now safely move around the camp during lightning episodes, to and from village facilities”.
“The LPS addresses a significant safety risk, without requiring our people to consciously change their routine or behaviours. This innovation not only improves safety, it also enhances the lifestyle and experience of our FIFO employees”.
“I would like to thank the Roy Hill Health and Safety team for their continued work to improve our safety culture, to ensure that we all get to go home to our loved ones safely”.
“Roy Hill will continue to look for innovative solutions to improve the physical safety, health, and wellbeing of our people”, Mr Fitzgerald added.
About Roy Hill
Roy Hill is a world-class iron ore operation and the largest single ore mine in Australia.
Situated 344km south east of Port Hedland in Western Australia’s mineral rich Pilbara region, Roy Hill is an independent iron ore operation with local majority ownership and chaired by Mrs Gina Rinehart.
With integrated mine, rail and port facilities producing 55Mtpa – Roy Hill is one of the world’s major resource-based operations, which will deliver enormous benefits to the broader community for many years to come.
Roy Hill’s first shipment of iron ore departed from Port Hedland on 10 December 2015 and has since loaded multiple shipments to its key markets in Japan, Korea, China and Taiwan. Roy Hill achieved many firsts, including for its largely Greenfield project, the largest mainland resource debt funding in the world, from 19 of the world’s largest banks, and five Export Credit Agencies.
Roy Hill operates some of the largest equipment in the world and in addition to having the fastest ramp up to 55Mtpa in the Pilbara, has maintained a focus on safety excellence.
In December 2015, Mrs Rinehart was recognised as “Miner of the Decade” by the Sydney Mining Club.
She has also been awarded “Chairman of the Year” by CEO Magazine.
Roy Hill has been presented with a range of accolades, including:
- 2018 WA Training Awards WA Employer of the Year
- 2018 Australian Mining Prospect Award for Community Interaction
- 2018 L&MH Mercury Awards Transport Solution of the Year: Rail
- 2017 Platts Global Metals Awards Rising Star Company Award
- 2016 Australian Mining Prospect Awards Excellence in Environmental Management Award
- 2016 Engineers Australia (WA) Australian Engineering Excellence in Engineering Distinction
- 2016 Engineers Australia (WA) Australian Engineering Excellence in Resource Development
- 2016 Engineers Australia (WA) Australian Engineering Excellence in Project Management
- 2016 Project Management Institute Project of the Year
- 2016 Railway Technical Society of Australasia Railway Project Award
- 2015 Mines & Money Asian Corporate Development Award
- 2015 IJ Global Asia-Pacific Project Mining & Metals Deal of the Year
- 2015 IJ Global Asia Pacific Deal of the Year
- 2014 FinanceAsia Magazine Project Finance Deal of the Year Award
- 2014 Finance International Magazine Asia Pacific Deal of the Year
- 2012 Diggers and Dealers Deal of the Year Award