About

Australia’s innovative, integrated iron ore operation.

Roy Hill is a world-class mining operation in Western Australia’s Pilbara region, representing the next generation of integrated iron ore mining, rail and port projects. We currently deliver 60 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) of iron ore to international markets, with recent approval to increase to 70Mtpa.

Roy Hill is a world-class mining operation in Western Australia’s Pilbara region, representing the next generation of integrated iron ore mining, rail and port projects. We currently deliver 60 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) of iron ore to international markets..

With one of Australia’s single largest iron ore mines, we are proud to deliver enormous economic benefits to the Western Australian and Australian communities. Roy Hill provides employment to over 2,800 employees, plus a number of contract suppliers and service providers.

Our focus

Our focus is not simply on the amount of iron ore dug from the ground, but rather on sustained, low cost production of consistent quality and grade.

As a margin-focused business, we aim to maximise the return for each tonne of ore we produce. While commodity markets can fluctuate, by remaining focused on maximising returns we ensure our business is well positioned to meet the demands of all market cycles.

Roy Hill ownership

Roy Hill is the only independent iron ore operation in the Pilbara with majority West Australian ownership.

Hancock Prospecting Pty Ltd is the majority owner of Roy Hill Holdings Pty Ltd with a 70 per cent equity interest. The remaining 30 per cent equity interest is held through a consortium comprising:

As part of the ownership agreement, the minority partners purchase 28.75 million tonnes of iron ore at the current full production rate of 60Mtpa from Roy Hill.

Our innovation

Our margin-focused approach is underpinned by innovation and continuous improvement. We believe that these key factors help to future-proof our business:

  • The positive attitude and expertise of our capable people
  • The intelligent application of new technologies, and 
  • Ongoing optimisation of efficiency and productivity.

As an example, Roy Hill now has a fully operational Wet High-Intensity Magnetic Separator (WHIMS) plant that  supported increased production from 55Mtpa to 60Mtpa. This reduces tailings waste, captures the high-grade ultrafine iron ore that would otherwise end up in the tailings dam, and provides additional shipped iron ore without increasing the amount of material being mined. Roy Hill is the first Australian iron ore company to use this technology in a hematite environment at this size and scale.

Read more about Roy Hill

Our story
Vision & values
Our board
Our leadership team
Awards & achievements

“Roy Hill is built on good Australian values where loyalty and performance are rewarded.”

Executive Chairperson, Gina Rinehart